Lee Lapthorne is a consultant and mentor having supported a number of creative businesses across the world. Lee has been awarded for his showcasing and has also sold internationally, he is often quoted by the press as an expert in the field of Art and Design.
Curator, Textiles Artist, Mentor & Show Producer, are just a few titles held by one of the country’s leading Fashion and Event Management experts, Lee Lapthorne.
Lapthorne’s success stems from his unprecedented drive and unique approach to his art. Effortlessly shifting energy from working in partnership with brands and clients creating a backdrop and a concept from which to showcase their work, to his pivotal, role leading the team at On|Off, on the search for the next big thing. This is all really second nature to Lapthorne.
Through the years Lee Lapthorne has collaborated with Rankin, Groove Armada, and Ashley Wallen, as well as producing over 300 shows globally for the likes of Peter Pilotto, J.W. Anderson, Roksanda Ilinic, Gareth Pugh and Gucci, among many, many more.
- 1998 Lee Lapthorne completes his MA in textiles awarded with a distinction.
- 1999 – 2002 Lee produces various art textiles pieces for St Giles Barbican, PACA, Gloucester Cathedral, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, The Bull Ring development.
- 2003 Launched pioneering company On|Off, which bridged the gap between on and off schedule designers. Since its launch, On|Off was the first event of its kind to have won the Cool Brands Award 2012/13 and attracted some of the most exciting international fashion designers and, in most cases, offered these designers their first international platform.
Lapthorne set up award-winning event production and creative agency, doll. The company specialises in innovative, multi-platform brand experiences.
- 2003 Lee becomes the MA fashion and Textile course director at UCE.
- 2006 On|Off hosts Gareth Pugh’s first solo show at LFW.
- 2007 Lee selects J.W Anderson to showcase in On|Off Presents at the Royal Academy of Arts.
- 2007 On|Off produces Peter Pillotto’s first solo show off schedule during LFW.
- 2007 Lapthorne commissions Japanese artist and photographer Izima Kaoru to photograph Erin O’Connor.
- 2009 Awarded the Exhibition Feature Area of the Year by the AEO Awards (Association of Event Organisers) for the Clothes Show Live.
- 2009 Mentoring Girls Aloud singer Nicola Roberts on the launch of her make-up range Dainty Doll.
- 2009 Took on the role of external examiner at Central Saint Martins for BA print. A role which lasted four years.
- 2010 Launches his self-named fashion accessories range, which is already popular with celebrities such as Jessie J, Paloma Faith and Fearne Cotton since its exclusive launch with Harvey Nichols.
- 2010 Lapthorne supports Roksanda IIincic at On|Off.
- 2010 Lapthorne works with Jessie J, getting her featured at the ‘Westfields Greatest’ fashion showcase, Britains next top model live & Paris Fashion Week.
- 2011 Produced the European events for the re-branding of CK One.
- 2012 Wins Best Live Event at the Association of Event Organisers after being selected by Land Rover to launch their new Evoque car in the UK.
- 2012 Lapthorne and On|Off celebrate the career of Zandra Rhodes, during Paris Fashion Week, with archive showcase.
- 2013 Consultant of make-up range Beautiful Movements and Pussycat Doll Kimberly Wyatt.
- 2013 Lee launches the world’s largest shoe department store for the Chalhoub Group named, Level Shoe District (based in Dubai).
- 2014 Lee produces showcase for Todd Lynn featuring Wolf Alice and slaves.
- 2014 On top of running two businesses, Lapthorne is selected as a visiting lecturer at the London College of Fashion, The University of the Creative Arts and Birmingham City University.
- 2015 On|Off relaunches with a 2 minute film directed by Lapthorne to showcase international talent, shown exclusively on iD Magazine.
- 2015 Lee is a judge and panelist for the International Fashion Showcase during London Fashion Week hosted by Sarah Mower for the British Fashion Council and British Council, advisor for Istanbul’s Incube Designer Programme.
- 2015 Lee is appointed Practitioner in Residence for the Media School at London College of Communications.
- 2015 On|Off comes back to London, showcasing the talent of more than 40 designers at its new venue in the heart of Soho – The Vinyl Factory.
- 2015 Lapthorne commissions Rankin to produce a preview of forthcoming collections at On|Off. Resulting images adorn the pages of Vogue, The Hunger & Wonderland.
- 2015 doll merges with Premier Comms, London, with Lee as Creative Director.
- 2016 On|Off continues the list of ‘firsts’ momentum by adding a live shoot to the On|Off Presents runway format. This was live streamed via Dazed Digital side by side with the live event. Lee also launches On|Off Tomorrows Talent to support international MA graduates.
- 2016 Lee celebrates 15 years consulting for Cotton USA managing their designer sponsorship programme supporting designers such as Preen, Richard Nicoll, PPQ, Louise Grey, Palmer//Harding and Faustine Steinmetz
- 2016 Lee launches bespoke furniture fabrics whilst continuing to champion new emerging design talent through On|Off during London Fashion Week and becomes a freelance consultant.
- 2016 Birmingham City University awards Lee ‘Alumni of the Year’.
“Lapthorne’s talent for realising potential next big things in fashion is always spot on” Wonderland Magazine
“Lapthorne has effectively launched the careers of British fashion stars, JW Anderson, Gareth Pugh and Roksanda Ilincic” afternyne.com
“The very best of international degree and post-graduate talents selected by Lee Lapthorne” Vogue Italia
“One of the most important people in fashion production and design” Design Week
“On|Off provides an excellent platform and support structure for young designers through its showcasing during London Fashion Week” Boris Johnson, Mayor of London